October 28, 2020
News Sport

‘It’s not good enough’ – Dubs star Aherne hits out at underfunding of women’s sport

Dublin football star Sinéad Aherne has called for far greater funding for female sports in this country.

The State publicly recognised the funding needs of elite female inter-county players by allocating grants in 2017 — nine years after it first disbursed payments to the men’s games. But still falls well behind the men in cash terms.

Last year 32 ladies football teams claimed €270,000 while 23 camogie squads received just over €160,000.

All-Ireland senior squads that reached the final shared €10,500, while in contrast individual male footballers who reached their final were entitled to a claim a grant of €2,400 each.

Four-time All-Ireland winner Aherne said these figures illustrate how the two genders are being treated at an elite level.

“You look at the situation for women’s grants for Gaelic football, we’re at about €700,000 and the men are at €3 million. And that’s already in a situation where men’s teams are getting their own player expenses and women’s aren’t,” said Aherne at the launch of the final chapter of the 20×20 campaign.

Aherne insisted that any promotional gains made as a result of the campaign over the last 24 months now needed to be supported by serious cash investment, calling on women’s sport to be deliberately ‘over-funded’.

“We are not comparing like for like if we are trying to look at the skill output and what we see on television, and say ‘it’s not good enough’,” the Dublin star added.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *